Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Daddy and his Tennis


Of all the sports out in the field, tennis is probably the most appealing to me not to mention that I used to play it when I was in my younger years (pre-professional life that is). Don't ask why I haven't played tennis for almost 3 years now, blame it on my lifestyle change, which is by the way, pretty much my mistake. I know it's hard to let go of something you really love, it's as hard as letting go of smoking over a girlfriend, not that I'm saying it's pathetic to quit smoking because your girlfriend told you so. Put it this way, it's just how I equate both situations and I know I'm gonna raise "some eyebrows" of "some girlfriends " of 'some boyfriends' who quit smoking because of God's most beautiful creation---women.

Tennis is what I consider a gift from my dad. A skill which was taught by the most important man in my life. I remember when i was growing up, I was this little boy (ironically, I'm still and a a lot would agree) with his daddy going to tennis courts with his friends and everyone would say what's this young fella doing in a "man's" world? and my dad was like, 'he ain't a young boy, he makes more sense than you do' and he was proud of it. My dad was sweet and very protective, he loves me as tight as his grip on his racket. I still believe that my dad, who is in his 50s, is a force to reckon with and not to mention he made his mark when he was young. He was an excellent player and I still believe that he's got the best forehand stroke I've ever seen and that's even better than Bill Johnston, of course he's my daddy. His drop shots are great and they matched mine---okay, okay I'm his son and I'm suppose to inherit that. But I know I fair enough and my dad would agree to that. It's amazing how those days seem to have fluttered so fast and the next thing you know, you might just be teaching your son the same. As what JorEl have said to superman and he to his son "the father becomes the son and the son becomes the father." I wouldn't know when that time comes to me but I'm sure I'll be like my "daddy" to my "little me".

Tennis, me and my dad---one of the most remarkable memories of growing up.

Happy Father's Day!!!

1 comment:

mygreenboi said...

nice one cedric!

makes me think of the memories i had with my dad. it makes me sad, because i only have vague memories of him. i lost him when i was 13 and he was not really around when i was young because he had to take care of our business.

this entry just really brings me back to my childhood. me likey this entry... :-)